Language learning is one of the top educational priorities in the EU, calling for innovative, inclusive and multilingual teaching methods. Language teachers are always on the lookout for innovative activities allowing them to work on those skills with their students.
Language learning calls for regular practice and immersion in order to develop the four main language skills, namely: reading, listening, writing, and speaking
In the past few years, Escape Rooms (ER) have generated a growing interest among teachers as they are indeed engaging and immersive. In order to really help teachers, this project will provide ready-made content as well as practical advice on how to implement such activities in the classroom for language learning.
The goal of this project is to foster multilingualism and diversity in the EU by promoting good practices to implement ER in language courses. The experience will therefore be totally immersive. To create engagement, the students will have a motivating goal: to escape the room in which they have been locked, to open a chest, or to save the classroom, by working together and solving riddles.
In addition to the four main necessary skills to practice a foreign language, two other aspects are important to include in this project:
- The first is cultural heritage. As a language always reflects a community’s way of thinking and culture, it remains essential to teach students about the culture behind the language they are learning.
- The second is the development of language teachers’ digital skills. The project will train them on the use of different resources in order to understand why and how to practically implement the use of ER in their language courses. Among those resources, some ICT tools will be recommended and tested by the partners, such as QR codes, Artificial Intelligence, Augmented Reality, Voice Recognition, etc.
The intellectual outputs developed in this project will be:
- A booklet “ER and languages: a perfect match?”
- A creation box with tools, resources and inspirations
- A collection of 300 enigmas
- A guide “Animation of a pedagogical ER for language education”
- The creation of 50 ER scenarios